Have you had that experience when you’re caught off guard? That is exactly how it feels like when you see a timeless-looking man and woman walking down the room. At first, you think, “oh they’re probably at the prime of their lives”, but then, the bomb drops and they’re actually in their 60s and 70s! This is where the wandering starts.
How can these people look so stunning and be in their 60s and 70s? Let us tell you the secrets to finding the fountain of youth by simply following the 7 steps below. Looking timeless at an old age requires altering your everyday routines. To age gracefully, you need to take care of your wellness starting at a young age. Once you do this, it’s a domino effect from there! Get ready to look like a classic beauty in your golden years. Let’s get this ball rolling, shall we?
- Rest, relaxation, and enough sleep!
There is no truer saying than “sleep is life”. Every day is an uphill battle, especially in our working years. This is why everyone needs a good beauty rest. In such cases when you don’t have enough sleep, your immune system suffers as well as your health. Let’s face it, sometimes we did all-nighters to finish one or two of our projects. The outcome? Not so good isn’t it? You start the day feeling tired and stressed. Less sleep will result in dark spots, fine lines, wrinkles, and uneven skin color. Talk about speeding up time and aging huh?
On the other hand, getting enough rest can make your skin healthier! The ideal sleep you should be getting is 8 to 9 hours of rest. You might be wondering, what makes sleep so important in aging gracefully? It’s because when we sleep our skin actually generates new collagen. Collagen prevents our skin from sagging, instead, making it more supple. Who knew sleep could slow down time?!
- Plenty of water
Don’t forget to hydrate yourself! This is because as we age, our body temperature changes as well. We become more prone to dehydration, heat stroke, muscle weakness, and fatigue. To age gracefully, one must also take care of his/her wellness. One of the things you could do is to drink water. According to Dr. Howard Murad, our body is primarily made up of 78% water, and as we age this water level goes down, and we tend to dry up. Drinking water can prevent signs of aging since this can plumpen our skin, leave our skin smooth, and even glowing! Drinking water even has the power to lubricate the joints! Indeed, completing eight cups a day will prove to have its benefits in the long run.
- Maintain a good mental state
Have a positive outlook in life. Your mood creates an impact throughout your entire day. Meanwhile, stress can only age you much faster than you think. However, there are a lot of ways and activities in which you can maintain a good mental state.
- Do the things you love – Nothing beats doing labour that you love doing to keep you motivated to get out of bed everyday feeling excited and energized!
- Create new hobbies – Learning new things can boost your cognitive skills to a notch. Discovering new things that will bring your joy and elevate your mood levels will keep you going and moving.
- Spend time with family and friends – There’s nothing lovelier than spending time with your family and friends even if it’s just a simple conversation.
- Exercise to release endorphins – Keep the happy brain cells going by keeping yourself physically active.
- Staying active!
Walk away from time by moving around and keeping yourself physically active! In the long run, the results can have positive effects on aging gracefully. As a wise novelist once said:
“To find joy in work is to discover the fountain of youth.” ~Pearl S. Buck
Being active can result in healthy outcomes for your body. This entails good sleep, improves the appearance of the skin, makes bones healthier, and enhances your mood. There are several ways and activities to keep your body moving.
- Hiking – If you’re a nature lover, then hiking might just be the physical exertion you need!
- Gardening – If you’re not the hardcore exerciser type, then why not keep yourself busy with a blooming garden?
- Walking or Jogging – Even just 30 mins a day of these can make a big difference!
- Yoga – In the mood for something meditative and relaxing? Find inner peace by doing yoga!
- Find a sport – Nothing can keep you sweating like a good sport that you enjoy!
- Clean up! – Keep moving by keeping your space clean. It’s a lot more work than you think!
- Stand up – Standing up alone can actually burn calories! That is why it’s advisable for people to stand up when working or eating since it is deemed that too much sitting is not good.
Honestly, there are endless possibilities to stay active! It doesn’t even have to be a strenuous thing. It can even go as simple as walking your dog or walking to the grocery store. Even with material things, they get rusty and old when not in use. This saying goes the same with our bodies as well.
- Maintain a proper diet
Too much of the good is bad after all right? But to be honest, maintaining a proper diet doesn’t mean that you can never eat chips or instant noodles for life. It only means that you should eat them in moderation. To age gracefully, you also need to keep in mind that eating fruits and vegetables is the way to go to achieve timeless beauty. Here are some things to remember!
- Keep salty foods at a down low
- Increase intake of lean proteins – these can be found in fish and beans
- Try staying away from processed foods
- Avoid eating deep-fried food such as french fries. These kinds of food can increase bad cholesterol and increase your chances of having heart disease.
- Drinking alcohol can be beneficial for your heart when drunk moderately. Excessive drinking can speed up aging.
As we grow old, we are more prone to feel loneliness, depression, Alzheimer’s, and even dementia. Nothing speeds up aging than poor company, or worse none! Socializing can decrease age signs that will result for you to age gracefully. It’s a wonder what a simple conversation does! Socializing comes with benefits such as:
- Improving mood – Nothing but a little gossip to spice up one’s life! On the flip side, simple talks with friends and family are proven to lift up one’s spirits.
- Better cognitive skills – Engaging in smart conversation will keep the wheels on your mind going. In these cases, it will decrease your chances of having dementia.
- Can promote positive feelings – Nothing beats feeling good! When you’re with good company, a good time always follows through.
- Cope with change
At a certain point in life, we are all going to get old. Let’s get real here, we can’t stay young and beautiful all of our lives! However, we can slow it down. The best thing to do is embrace your changes. So what if you have a few grey hairs sticking out. Nobody said that you can’t look good with greying hair! The key is to go with the flow. Truth be told, we cannot stop time. One way or the other, we’re going to have to cross that age line. To age gracefully, we have to adapt to the changes brought by age. Self-love is the best love we receive after all. And when we do, it shows.
You made it to the end! Curious about more health tips? Check out What Are the Benefits of Drinking Tea For the Elderly?